Included below are resources available to entrants in the Challenge. Use of these resources is optional, but encouraged.
Note: All links are provided for informational purposes only.
Healthcare & Diabetes
Diabetes is a disease that occurs when your blood glucose, also called blood sugar, is too high. The Challenge is most interested in solutions designed to support those newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The period following diagnosis is often an overwhelming time when lifestyle changes and extensive information must be integrated into a new diabetes self-management practice.
Digital Healthcare Ecosystem, InfoSys
Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule, Department of Health and Human Services
Infographic: A Snapshot of Diabetes in America, American Diabetes Association
Type 2: Basic Info, American Diabetes Association
Type 2 Experience
- Patient Voices: Type 2 Diabetes, New York Times
- Stories from the Newly Diagnosed, The Type 2 Experience
- Diabetes Management, Center for Disease Control
- Diabetes Care Team, American Diabetes Association
- Diabetes Management Consumer Guide, Diabetes Forecast
- Alexa. The voice service that powers Echo, provides capabilities, or skills, that enable customers to interact with devices in a more intuitive way using voice.
- Voice-enabled technology. Any technology that leverages the unique capabilities created by a voice interface.
- Alexa’s supporting technology. The software, databases, web services, hardware, or additional cloud and non-cloud based tools with which Alexa interfaces to perform her various tasks.
- Skills. Capabilities that enable customers to interact with devices in a more intuitive way using voice. Examples of Alexa skills include the ability to play music, answer general questions, set an alarm or timer, and more.
Alexa and Supporting Technology
- Alexa and Alexa Device FAQ, Amazon
- Amazon Web Services, Amazon
- Alexa Voice Service, Amazon
- Lex, Amazon
- IBM Watson Developer Cloud, IBM
- Health APIs, Programmable Web
- Orbita Voice, Orbita Health
- Allscripts Developer Program, Allscripts
Building a Skill
- Alexa Skills Kit, Amazon
- Understanding the Different Types of Skills, Amazon
- Existing Alexa Skills, Amazon
Alexa’s Technical Limitations and Data Privacy
- 9 Things Alexa Can’t Do Yet, CNET
- Alexa and Google Home Record What You Say. But What Happens to That Data?, Wired
Future of Voice
- Voice Will Likely be the Next Meaningful User Interface in Healthcare, MedCityNews
- The Amazon Echo Was Just The Beginning Of Alexa’s Voice-First Revolution, Forbes
- How the Amazon Echo Could Fundamentally Alter Tech’s Future, Time
This website contains information and resources from public and private organizations that may be useful to the reader. Inclusion of this information does not constitute an endorsement by Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, U.S.A., Amazon.Com, Amazon Web Services, Amazon Alexa, or Luminary Labs of any products or services offered or views expressed. Blog articles provide insights on experience of persons living with type 2 diabetes. Blog articles do not endorse any product, service, or institution.
This website also contains hyperlinks and URLs created and maintained by outside organizations, which are provided for the reader’s convenience. Luminary Labs is not responsible for the accuracy of the information contained therein.